In a previous blog post, “Predictive Ocean Visibility”, we looked at how it has become a useful tool with more advances making it beneficial for stakeholders and supply chain management measures. In this we look at the benefits of ocean visibility and also end-to-end ocean freight tracking. With advancement in technology such as with Ocean Insights, Gatehouse, Dynamic Ocean and Clear Metal, data driven functionalities can improve supply chain efficiencies.
Some of the benefits of ocean visibility and end-to-end ocean freight tracking include the likes of the following;
- Real time information consolidated from many sources can give you a better picture as to the exact location of where your shipments are, where they are heading to and exactly when. With such data, you don’t need to rely on an EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) feeds which only provide a little bit of information.
- Ocean Visibility not only tracks the ship but also the container. This means that there is more transparency in terms of arrivals, loading/unloading, and final delivery too
- It will enable you to work with carriers to get better freight rated in terms of tracking metrics such as volume shipped, on-time arrivals, and service levels. Based on the information provided you will be able to manage negotiations for discount and additional service requirements should you need them.
- One of the great benefits of ocean visibility is the ability to automate notifications and alerts for different events, along with exception management processes being automated, which can improve efficiency and lower costs.
- With the help of API (Application Programming Interface) based platforms, it facilitates end-to-end freight tracking.
- Having supply chain partners also utilize the same ocean visibility and end-to-end freight tracking system to facilitate better efficiencies for operation fluidity.
- Utilizing predictive analytics and metrics, and applying the data can improve Estimated Times of Arrivals (ETAs) and arrival schedules. With predictive ocean visibility measures, refining ETAs will be easier for stakeholders to react to expectations based on real time information as they happen.